Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Basic Crepe, with Sweet Crepe option

"... sprinkled with sugar and eaten hot, they form an exquisite dish..." Jacques Anatole Francois Thibault  

Photographer: Harry Gils, Prop Stylist: Dana Gils, Food Stylist: Sarah Visheau (me!)

Good day, followers! Well, I have some more pictures from the food shoot for you. I hope you are enjoying them! Instead of presenting all of the photos at once, I thought that I could reveal them a few at a time and include a recipe. What do you think? I thought it would be more fun this way! 
Eaten in restaurants or on the streets, crepes (pictured above), are extremely popular in France, where they originated. The last time I was in Paris, I bought a chocolate crepe from a street vendor and it was delicious! I know I told you that I really don't like sweets, but come on... A chocolate crepe, steps away from the Seine, in the city of lights? How could anyone resist?! Not only are crepes served sweet, but also a great vessel for a savoury filling.  A couple of years ago, Jane and I did crepe demonstrations at the Cottage Life Show. To cut a long story short, let's just say that I announced into my microphone for the audience to gently 'flip the crap'... Yep, I said it! Right away, I covered my mic and laughed my head off. I can't believe I was invited back!

Simple and Tasty Recipe:

Basic Crepe, with Sweet Crepe option...
(makes about 12 pieces)

1 cup flour
1 cup milk
2 eggs
2 Tbsp butter, melted
pinch of sea salt
*1-2 Tbsp sugar, optional
*1/2 tsp vanilla, optional

.in a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt
.in a large measuring cup or jug, mix together the milk and eggs
.make a well in the centre of the flour and slowly pour in the liquid while whisking (*add the sugar and vanilla now if you want your crepes to be sweet)
.slowly incorporate the flour while whisking out from the middle, until the liquid is done and the batter is smooth and frothy
.whisk in the melted butter, put in the fridge for at least 30 mins
.whisk again before using
.heat a non stick pan on medium, brush with oil
.with a ladle, pour in enough batter to thinly coat the bottom, lift and rotate the pan to move the batter around
.cook until the edges begin to brown and flip, cook for a few seconds more, turn out onto tea towel
.stack between sheets of waxed paper until using, enjoy!
For a bit of a change, brown your melted butter. It will add a nuttiness to your savoury crepes! The crepes can be tightly wrapped in plastic and put into the fridge for a few days or even frozen. Slowly bring them back up to room temp. to use again. Get creative with your crepes! Filling ideas are limitless! For instance... A creamy white sauce with tarragon and chicken or seafood folded into a crepe is a great brunch item, served with greens and a glass of white wine. Bon Appetit!
Okay, well Kev and I are off to Niagara for a couple of days! We met a year ago today and decided to go to go the Falls for the night and spend tomorrow in Niagara-on-the-Lake! Oh boy! I will have so many culinary adventures to blog about, it will probably keep me going for the rest of the week! So, bye for now my followers and I will be back on Thursday! Au revoir!

Photographer: Harry Gils, Prop Stylist: Dana Gils, Food Stylist: Sarah Visheau (me!)
 

No comments: