Monday, May 28, 2012

Roasted Salmon with Herbs and Herbed Salmon Sandwich Filling

"Oh herbs... How I love thee!" Me

Hello followers, hope you're ready for the heat!
So, how's your herb garden doing these days? Ours is alive and thriving and it makes me so happy! I love having herbs just outside the door and I must admit that I use them in just about everything I make. Fresh herbs fill your home with the most inviting fragrance when being cooked, liven up any dip or salad and can even take a simple cocktail to the next level (I don't know about you, but I'm thinking about mojitos!!!). Sometimes using one type of herb does the trick, but other times it's fun to combine! I first tasted herbed salmon was while working at Jane Rodmell's specialty food shop in Toronto named 'All the Best Fine Foods'. I fell in love with it. Since then, I have perfected my own version of the fish and enjoy it when my herb garden is in full swing! Recently I featured this salmon recipe in my Spring collection for 'Sideroads of Halton Hills' magazine and I made it for us for this weekend. Paired with new potatoes and local asparagus, roasted salmon with herbs makes for a perfect Springtime meal. Yum!


Roasted Salmon with Herbs
(serves 4)

4 salmon fillet
1 tbsp each chopped parsley, dill, chives and cilantro
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ lemon, juiced
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Sea salt
Fresh ground pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine the chopped herbs, olive oil, lemon juice and Dijon mustard in a medium bowl. Lightly sprinkle each piece of fish with a little salt and pepper on all sides. Place the salmon into the bowl and coat with the herb mixture. Arrange the fish pieces on to a greased tray or casserole dish and drizzle the remaining herb mixture on top. Place in the oven and bake for 12 to 18 minutes (depending on the thickness of the fish) until it is firm to the touch, opaque in colour and flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve either hot, cold or at room temperature.
Now, you might be wondering why there is a picture of a sandwich down below... Leftover roasted salmon with herbs can be easily made into a delicious sandwich for lunch the next day!

Herbed Salmon Sandwich Filling

1 pc roasted salmon with herbs
1 to 2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 green onion, fine chop
1 celery stalk, fine chop
Sea salt
Fresh ground pepper

Flake the chilled salmon fillet in a bowl with a fork. Add in the mayonnaise, green onions and celery and gently combine. Adjust seasoning (if needed) and make a sandwich with your fave bread and lettuce. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The food looks delicious! This is what a healthy eating habit means. I’m always a fan of herbs, and I’m sure that these dishes are not only scrumptious but also very healthy! That’s one advantage of having an herb garden: You can always pick out an herb and add it to your dish.

-Katelin Mccaig

Sarah's Culinary Adventure said...

thank you so much, katelin!

Anonymous said...

Wow i wanna try these recipes

KuvaricaGR said...

Wow i wanna try these recipes!

KuvaricaGR said...

i tried the recipe differently because i did not have all the ingredients , it turned out nice and lemon tasted, i added thyme and dried bread, instead of chives and corriander and i used mild mustard and masticha flavoured salt :) thanx for the inspiration!